PPC ADVERTISING: HOW TO MAKE YOUR BUSINESS "CLICK"
PPC stands for Pay Per Click - a popular advertising technique on the
Internet. Found on websites, advertising networks, and especially on
search engines, PPC advertising involves sponsored links that are
typically in the form of text ads. These are usually placed close to
search results, where an advertiser pays a particular amount to
visitors who click on these links or banners and land on the
advertiser's web page.
In essence, PPC advertising is all about bidding for the top or
leading position on search engine results and listings. Advertisers do
this by buying or bidding on keyword phrases that are relevant to
their products or services - the higher the bid, the higher the spot
on the search results, the more the people will find the ad (and click
on it) to go to their websites (this is why some people call it
"keyword auctioning"). Advertisers would then pay the bidding price
every time a visitor clicks through the website.
PPC advertising is also known under the following names/variations:
· Pay per placement
· Pay per performance
· Pay per ranking
· Pay per position
· Cost per click (CPC)
PPC advertising is usually done with the following standard procedures:
1. Setting up an account and/or deposit funds.
2. Creating a keyword list.
3. Choosing (and setting up) an account with a PPC search engine.
4. Bidding on the ad placement, including the search result words or phrases.
5. Writing out an ad copy.
6. Setting up the 'landing pages' for your ads.
7. Placing the advertisement in the search engine.
There are many benefits to Pay Per Click advertising, making it an
effective way of promoting a business 'online'. Some of them are
· Get launched immediately. PPC advertisements are implemented very
quickly - they can go 'online' within an hour after winning the bid
and paying for it.
· Obtain specific, pre-qualified, and quality traffic. PPC provides
you with a quality or a well-targeted traffic. Visitors are narrowed
down into 'qualified' people who are actually looking for specific
products and/or services that you offer - those who are more likely to
become a 'lead' (a convert) and complete a transaction (either by
buying your product or subscribing to the service that you are
· Widen your reach. PPC advertising provides additional traffic to
your site, aside from the natural or "organic" search engines.
· Track your investment. PPC advertising makes use of a tracking
system that will determine exactly who comes to the website and what
they do once they arrive - the length of their stay on the site and
the number of pages (including the actual pages) that they view. These
are valuable tools in determining statistics such as return on
investment (ROI), acquisition cost-per-visitor, and conversion rates
(the percentage of visitors who are converted into customers or
Below are some important things to consider when planning on a pay per
1. Know your product. Take an inventory of the product and/or services
that you have to offer (before anything else).
2. Stay within the budget. Determine your daily or monthly budget; and
stay with it. This means keeping your budget in mind, avoiding bidding
wars if possible.
3. Bid just right. Know how to bid right - a bid that is too high can
exhaust all of your money, while a bid that is too low can make you
lose that spot.
4. Watch the bottom line. Measure your profit margin against your
spending or expenses. Know when to stop and terminate your PPC program
- if you spend more on advertising but have little or no sales at all.
5. Find the right keywords. Decide which keyword phrases to opt and
bid for. Do some keyword research, either by actually looking at
existing search terms or with the use of online keyword suggestion
tools, to know which terms are mostly used when searching for items
that are related to your business. Focus on specific keywords, not on
6. Write effective ads. A good PPC ad is that which can persuade and
move a searcher. There are several approaches to this:
· Discount offers
· Celebrity/famous endorsers
· Money-back guarantees
· Free trials or sample offers
· Reverse psychology
· Major benefits ("Lose weight")
· Direct instructions ("Click here")
7. Maintain a professional-looking site. Your web content should be
regularly updated and checked for spelling and grammatical errors.
There should be no broken links or images. The website should be
simple - designed in such a way that it will be easy for visitors to
navigate and load. Include contact details to create a good impression
among potential customers.
Done properly, PPC advertising can be an effective marketing tool that
will maximize the return on your investment.
Affordable PPC search engine advertising